Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Orioles Legends Series Honors Cal Ripken

On Thursday Night September 6th as part of their Legends Statue Series the Orioles will be honoring Cal Ripken Jr.  September 6th is also the 17th Anniversary of the night that Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak.  

I feel fortunate to live near Baltimore and I was able to see Ripken play several times - in fact I think I have seen Ripken play more times then any current Hall of Famer.  It is hard for me to believe that he has been out of baseball for 11 years.  

2011 Phungo #8 Cal Ripken Jr.
The photo from the above card was taken when the Orioles marked the 15th anniversary of Ripken breaking the record on 2010-9-5.  Ripken is show throwing out the ceremonial first pitch prior to the game.  The Orioles won that day - there is a side note for the game -  Rays outfielder and fan favorite Rocco Baldelli hit the last home run of his injury shortened career that day.          

Sources & Links

Rewind
For  one of my favorite Team Phungo posts on Ripken click here.

No comments:

a thousand words

a thousand words
2008 World Champions